Tuesday, October 7, 2014

What is the meaning of....

Usually the above statement is linked to "what is the meaning of life".  I believe that in order to find the meaning of life you need not look too far.
There's no need to be philosophical about this, simply look at your life, then chunk it down even more to where you're looking at the smallest of aspects of your life, good or bad, and there you will find the "meaning of life".

I think that most things in life, just are, and it's the meaning one gives it that ultimately leads to how we feel about it, thereby coming up with some conclusion to "what is the meaning of life". Of course, as I usually do, I am going to use 'career' as an example, because as I've stated in my blogs, this is where I am struggling the most, and therefore, hope to grow by sharing my thoughts with you.
Okay, so why is it that I hate my job, and love the potential career in writing that I have in my head. I've recently learned that this phenomenon is due to the meaning I've given each thing. The feeling I've given my job is: stuck, boring, and meaningless. The meaning I've given my potential career is: happiness, freedom and meaningful.  As you can see these two are at complete opposite ends. This got me wondering, if I were to change the meaning I've given my job would I then really feel differently about it? Then,  if I did feel differently about it, what would happen? Would I be happy? But then, I wouldn't have anything to complain about...And what if I became happy with my days, so happy in fact that I would no longer want to write? No, I must continue to hate my job otherwise I might be happy!
The truth is, there's no need to fear this happening. The passion that I have for writing doesn't stem from hating some other thing, it comes from an entirely different place, it comes from a place of love. And that's the difference, hating my job comes from a place of fear. Fear of failure, fear of not making it.

The truth is, hating a certain thing--in my case, my day job, doesn't really do anything other than keep you stuck in that situation, and make you miserable in the process. Just like any habit, this way of thinking becomes home to you, this is your "comfort zone".  Think about it this way. How many times have you said "I'm not going to eat sweet's anymore," yet you return to it time after time because it makes you feel good.  Even though you know in the long run those sweet's are slowly hurting your health. But, if you're able to resist the temptation of reaching for those sweet's, then magic happens. Eventually you won't crave them anymore, and ultimately your health will improve. Well, the same goes for this negative way of thinking.  If you stop complaining and stop looking at the negative things in your daily life, your life will improve and you will be a much happier person, probably closer to being the kind of person you want to be, and much closer to your overall goals.

So start today, start giving the things in your life that aggravate you a NEW MEANING and see how this transforms your days, your mood, and ultimately your life. I will definitely try it, because frankly I haven't really been pleased with my thought life lately. 
 
Till Next Time!




2 comments: