Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Why you should challenge yourself

So do you yoga?  Well I do. I did this 30 day challenge with Erin Motz, from Do You Yoga and it was amazing. Although I've been trying my hand at yoga for the past two years, I've recently decided to give it my all. This is why this 30 day challenge worked out so well for me. It was the boost I needed to get me into the right frame of mind.

Before I share my amazing experience, let me first preface by saying I have no experience when it comes to sports. In addition, flexibility is not something I was gifted with. So when I started this challenge I considered myself a beginner and therefore was worried about the challenges that came with this practice. But, I decided to just go with it, furthermore, I made an internal commitment to do, or at least try to do every single thing she was teaching.

This brings me to day seven! Day seven introduced us to the crow pose, I tried and tried and even cried because I couldn't do it, what’s worse is that I was really trying. But thankfully, with my daughter's encouragement I quickly wiped those tears away and I decided that I would not give up, but most importantly I decided that I WOULD DO IT

Believe it or not it only took 24 hours and I got both feet off the ground, it was only for like half a second but still... This was only a small victory, but it was a victory all the same. With this newly found confidence I kept trying, and trying until my wrist, arms and shoulders simply couldn't take it anymore.  Soon the challenge turned from getting myself off the ground to holding myself up for as long as possible and perfecting the actual pose.  Have I perfect-it you're wondering? Well here I am doing it!
Not even close to perfecting it, lol, but I will. What is most important is that I did it. Something I thought I could never do, I did. This small victory gave me the courage to even try a head stand. “Let me see it,” you say! Well that one, I’m still working on, but I will reach that goal too, and I will share it with you when I do.


My point is a couple things. First, challenge yourself, go for the impossible because you really don’t know what you’re capable of. And second, don’t be afraid to try new things, life is awesome, and it’s here for you to experience it fully. I recently came across this quote giving FEAR a new meaning, and I have fallen in love with it.


Visit  http://publichealthonline.gwu.edu/yoga-matters-invitation
 So you can share your yoga story too!

Till Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment