Tuesday, September 30, 2014

What is the dollar amount that is holding you hostage?

For me, that number is minimal at best, yet, it has me in a prison I can’t escape from.
Who are my capturers? My thoughts, influenced by utter fear.

My thoughts jab at me on a daily basis reminding me how terrible it would be if I were to break free from my prison. It tells me how I would lose everything; ruin my life and those of my loved ones. It tells me I am being irresponsible by wanting to pick happiness over security and so and so on the jabbing continues.


When the capturer leaves me alone, and a moment of clarity is allowed to sink-in, I know those are all lies. I know that picking happiness would only make my days betters, I would have a better thinking life, and it would ultimately increase my wealth, thereby allowing me to provide an even better life for my family.
 
But those moments are few and far between, and so I willingly let my capturer tie my hands, and paralyze me, while I sit by, day after day watching my life pass me by.

If you find yourself in captivity like me, I think we should ask ourselves this question, what's the worst that could happen? Tony Robbins is the king of encouraging us to address this question. He reminds us that by asking this simple question it allows us to really put things into perspective, thereby releasing all apprehension we have. This exercise shows us that even if the worst thing you think could happen, happens, all is not lost. Secondly, it might permit for a 'plan to action' to where you don't feel unprepared.

For example let's say you are thinking of quitting your job and starting a new business, but you've convinced yourself you can't afford it. Well, this is where you ask yourself the question "what's the worst that could happen if I quit and go for it?" Your response could go something like this, if I have no money coming in, I will lose my home, car, and credit, I'll be forced to move-in with a family member until I get on my feet again.

Now with your fears clearly out in the open you can start to make progress. You can find a solution to your problem by providing options, "okay, what if, I were to work overtime for three months, or cut some of my luxury items for a bit, how much could I save that will allow me to quit my job safely and pursue starting my business?? See what I mean!

I think I will do the above and start putting my own fears into perspective so that I can move forward. I hope you do too, and by doing so you get a little closer to your goal, whatever it may be.

Till Next Time!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment