Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Start doing more of what you love and less of the things you don’t!

I took a short break from blogging to catch my breath. I was starting to feel a little overwhelmed with the million things I had committed to doing, but what I learned from taking this break actually surprised me.
I realized that I stopped doing one of the things that I loved doing—writing my thoughts.  Instead, I held on to the things that I considered “a must do.”

Week after week I mourned the loss of not blogging and what started happening really surprised me, I started losing steam and certain things fell through the cracks.  In the end, all I was left with was my 9 to 5 job, the one thing that makes me least happy. What was that about?


My opinion is this. When you do ONE thing that you love, then  more of the same will follow. In the same token, if you do something that makes you unhappy, more of the same will follow.
Seems pretty simple right? Yeah of course. But, consider your day, or days for a minute. Do you spend most of your days doing what you LOVE or do you spend them doing things you don’t particularly care for.  Ahhh grasshopper, you see what I mean. I bet most of you spend little to no time dedicated to the things you love.
I believe this is not good for you or your soul. If you’ve realized that your days are mostly made-up of things you “have” to do and you spend little to no time on the things you love, then start today making an effort to tip the scale in favor of love!  Make a commitment to yourself that each day you will dedicate some time to pursuing that thing that makes you happy, that thing that seems to make time speed by. I love that feeling. I find it funny how when I am writing for an hour it feels like five minutes, but when I am at my 9 to 5, one hour feels like an eternity. That is what I am working so hard for, to change my time.

I suggest you keep a journal. Start writing down all the things that you like doing that make you happy, then write down what you’re going to do each day to make sure, one day soon, your days are mostly filled by these things.  
Some people misunderstand this type of philosophy, they think that this refers to sitting around eating pizza and chips all day, “well that makes me happy” they say. If this is what you’re thinking, then you’ve missed the boat entirely. As you can see I referred to my time passing by while I was writing, in other words working… You can work, earn a living, provide for your family and still be doing what you love. Doing what you love is not just about quitting your job and watching TV all day. Doing what you love could mean, wanting to be a stay at home mom, or traveling, or writing.
So go for it. Start doing more of what you love and less of the things you don’t!
Till Next Time!



No comments:

Post a Comment