Thursday, March 12, 2015

How Tired Are You Of Hearing About The Latest Diet Fads?

How tired are you of hearing about the latest diet fads? Stop eating sugar, no, stop eating meat, no, stop eating bread! Wait; stop eating fats, processed or fried foods! UGH (that’s me doing a tiny, but very powerful scream). The internet and the people around you are filled with conflicting advice on how to lose weight and get fit.
When do you say enough is enough? Today is the day because when it’s all said and done, it all comes down to this.  
  • Stop dieting and stop saying that you’re going to cut things from your diet or that you only eat this or that.
Although this may come across as just another diet advice, it is not. It is a way of freeing you from the pressure of dieting.  If you are looking to live a healthy lifestyle, then the very first thing you need to do is to listen to your body. Our body is always telling us what we should and shouldn’t eat. The problem is that we don’t listen.  Instead, we listen to what’s worked for other people. For example, you see your next door neighbor has lost a ton of weight and she looks amazing. Then, you find out she stopped eating bread so you assume this will also work for you. However, you may not realize that your neighbor had a Gluten allergy and therefore bread was literally making her sick. She listened to her body and stopped eating bread (Gluten) and she is now at her perfect and comfortable weight. But, perhaps you should also note that she has not stopped eating cupcakes, filled with sugar, but instead eats one that is Gluten free.

The recommendation is to keep a food journal, and with this, I actually agree. But I would go a step further, not only should you write down what you eat, but you should also write down how you feel before and after. Examples of things to look for are, did you develop indigestion, or a headache, or did you become extremely fatigued or even irritable after your meal. Once you start seeing a pattern develop, (for better or worse) you will start seeing how your body is speaking to you, begging you for either a change of food, or more of a certain food. If you listen, your ultimate diet goal will be achieved, whether it’s to lose or gain weight. When you take this approach you will start noticing how easy it is to give up the things you once thought you couldn’t live without. For years the only beverage I enjoyed was coke. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that the only thing I drank was coke, no water, no juice… Then, one day I started to notice how sick coke was making me feel, I could barely eat my food because as I was trying to swallow, the gasses from the coke kept coming up. Needless to say, I listened to my body and I am happy to report that for nearly three years I have stopped drinking coke and now I only drink water. My body thanks me. 
However, there is one thing that none of us can escape from, and that is, exercise. Guys, whether you like to or not, exercising is the best thing you can do for your body. No matter your age, you would be doing yourself a great service by taking at least 30 minutes a day to move your body.  Your 70 year-old self will thank you for it.

Till Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment