Tuesday, April 21, 2015

How to Make Sure You Don't Miss Out On Your Life

I’m sure that you’ve heard people say how important it is to live in the now; if you haven’t, well you’re in luck, I’m about to summarize it for y’all. 

In Eckhart Tolle’s The Power of Now he explores the very subject of living in the now, and the power and freedom that come with it. If you’re confused as to exactly what I’m referring to, I’ll use the same example that most people use when trying to explain this topic. Have you ever driven to work, or school, or anywhere, but you don’t remember how you got there? Well that my friends, is a prime example of living anywhere else, but in the now.
 
Realizing that most of my life is lived just as the example suggests, I decided to try a new approach. I went for a walk the other day, and instead of thinking about the million things I think about, I decided to just focus on my walk, on what was happening right before me, and what I found was peace. I discovered that this business of "being in the now" is simply another form of meditation… (so for all those who claim you can’t meditate, try being in the now).  My mind became clear from clutter, and the headache that was threating to take over my day, disappeared without having to take a single pill. I know this is going to sound a bit fufu and out there, but here it goes anyway. On my walk,  I actually paid attention and I listened to the birds chirping. I heard the wind rustle the leaves. I inhaled and exhaled deeply, fully allowing relaxation to be part of my walk.  I felt, really felt the wind against my face, and it felt amazing. But most importantly, I thought of nothing, and it felt great. 
 

















After this simple exercise I asked myself, am I never in the now? Am I really that distracted that I’m missing my entire life because I’m consumed with thoughts of the past or the future? Well, unfortunately the answer is yes, as I fear will be the same for you. But I also realized this, that for those brief moments when I have actually managed to be in the now, those are the moments that have created my perception of life.  For example, when I’m writing, I think of nothing else except for what I’m writing about. When I’m spending time with my family, usually, I’m listening to their conversations, I’m absorbing our time together because I am keenly aware that I our time together is limited. Those two things have become precious things in my life. For you, it may be something else. It may be that when you’re running you really pay attention to your stride, the way your feet hit the pavement, not so smooth that time, so you adjust (this means you're present).  Living in the present promises a better quality of life. A life that you won’t miss. A life that you were an active party in. A life where you count your blessings everyday because you are deeply aware of all that you have.

So starting today, if you’re stirring the pot, just stir the pot.
 
Till Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment