Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Why Knowing Your Why is Important

In honor of January, I’m going to stick with the theme of setting goals to ensure that you successfully set up your year.
If you’re anything like most people, chances are that you have already defaulted on your new year’s resolutions. If you have, don’t’ worry, I’m here to offer some tips on how to get you back on board.

First, let’s eliminate the word resolution and let us call it goals, I think this is a better way to look at  it. Then, let’s try to understand why you have defaulted so soon.

The reason could be because you don’t know your why. Setting goals and setting a plan are both great ways to get the year started; however, equally as important is knowing your why. If you have already set your goals and have decided upon a plan of action, now it’s time to do one more step. Know your why! This powerful step will provide you with the fuel you need that will get you back on board and/or keep you going until your goal is achieved.

Let us say that you have a financial goal of doubling your annual income by the end of the year (goal). And,  you have already written down what you’re going to do daily to achieve this goal (action). Now, on a brand new page of your 2016 journal, write the goal as your heading and write down your why. Maybe your why is so that you can buy a house. Or maybe it is so that you can finally take that vacation you’ve always wanted. Or maybe, you want to get out of debt . Whatever it is, putting a reason behind your goal gives it a deeper meaning and understanding as to why achieving this goal is so important, thus reminding you why you must get back on board, and/or keep going until you have successfully reached it.  Be colorful in your description. I recommend that you add several things to your description of why:
  1. What is my Why:   I want to double my income so that I can finally take that month long vacation to Europe.
  2. Write a story about what you want:    I can’t wait to take my vacation next Spring. Upon earning the money, I will decide on which countries I will visit, then, I  will book my flight and hotel,. Finally, I will go shopping for… etc.
  3. How will I feel once I achieve my goal:   I will feel like anything is possible. I will feel happy that I reached a goal that I set only 12 short months ago.
Don't feel bad if you have defaulted, or never even started, or feel lost in taking your goals to the next level. It is never too late to get a plan together.  The important thing is that you have a desire to make this year different than all the others. That desire WILL eventually get you on track to success.
Next week I will provide another vital step in getting you all set up for a successful year.
Till Next Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment