Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Free yourself!

I have finally done it. I have freed myself from the prison I had placed myself in . I blogged about this a few weeks ago and little did I know how guilty I was of the very thing I was preaching about. 
Have you ever done something that you really don’t like just because you think you should do it, or because it looks cool, or it sounds cool? I’m sure you have. Most of us think this type of behavior ends with our teen years, but I’m afraid that this is not the case, some of us carry this burden way into our adult years.. However, if you happen to be one of the few people that does only what feels right, and you never ever do anything just because you’re trying to be someone you’re not, then CONGRATULATIONS you are way ahead of me.

This brings me to my point. For about a year now I’ve been trying to be something I’m not.  People, I’ve been trying to become a runner. I thought it would be cool to participate in Disney’s marathon events and run 5K’s and so on and so on, but the truth is I HATE running, always have.
Now let’s put this into perspective, I once said that the mere fact that you “want” to do something means that you’re supposed to do it. But, what must follow this statement is that this “want” has to be for the right reason and come from the purest place. I “wanted” to be a runner, but not because it brought me joy or it fulfilled me in any way, but because I wanted to have that title, “I’m a runner,” “I run marathons,” “I’m an athlete.” It was more about the status that came with it than what I really wanted in my heart. See the difference? I hope so.

So I am happy to say that I have finally let myself off the hook about this running thing. There are other things I really enjoy, like yoga, and not because I’ll be part of some elite group, but because I really do enjoy it. So, a very wise person recently told me, “Commit to yoga then, set goals, attain them and set new ones. You will succeed at the thing you enjoy!” And so I shall!

Now it’s your turn, what are you forcing onto your life that really doesn’t fit you? Once you discover what it is, do as I did and take it off.  Be only who you want to be, not who you think you should be. 
Till Next Time!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment