Tuesday, January 13, 2015

How To Get Out Of A Funk

Okay, although I do my best to motivate each of you, sometimes, I need encouragement too. Yesterday was one of those days. I can’t explain what was wrong with me except for that I felt sad for no reason. I was feeling so down that I was even drawing sad faces on post-it notes. I tried listening to motivational teachers to jolt me back into a happy space, but it wasn't working. Nothing was resonating with me, and I couldn't focus on any of it. I’d start listening to something, then, I’d push it aside and start another, only to stop it mid way through. 
So what was up? Honestly, I’m still not sure. But, I do know this. After a couple hours of feeling badly, I took matters into my own hands and refused to let it linger, and what I found was this:

Once again I received validation that being in a state of contentment does not come from outside of me. I cannot rely on others to make me “feel” a certain way. Instead, I confirmed that I have everything I need to feel better.
How did I realize this? By asking myself a series of questions, what makes me happy? What makes time fly and truly fill me with joy? First thing that came up for me, was being with my family... well, because I was at work, I couldn't be with them. I couldn't just pick up and leave and have a free day. So, I kept going. What else makes me happy? Writing does. And so I decided to write. I know I was at work, but I had to do something, I was in a funk and I was falling fast into a not so good place. By asking the question and then following through with what I knew was going to make me feel better, I finally did. My mood started shifting from one of sadness to one of purposefulness and excitement.

I tell you this because I know we all go through these moments, but most of us don’t know how to snap out of it. Often times, instead of seeking for a solution, we simply accept the way we’re feeling day after day until we finally end up in some form of depression. I want to give you at least one tool to use if ever you find yourself as I did yesterday. The next time you’re feeling off, try it for yourself,  go inward, ask yourself, when are you the happiest, if it’s being home binging on your favorite TV show, and you can do it, then do it. My point is, take charge of your life, your thoughts and your happiness, by doing so you will always have access to contentment, no matter what your circumstances are.

No comments:

Post a Comment