Tuesday, July 21, 2015

What Is Preventing You From Going For IT

I had an interesting observation today.  My entire life, I’ve been surrounded by people that in one way or another, “want” something, but aren’t going for it. Why is that? Why aren’t we all just going for it?
Often times, these desires are usually dead in the water because they have been inundated by excuses. But excuses aren’t to blame, instead, lets look at the real reason the excuses came up to begin with. Let me sum it up in one sentence. We simply don’t BELIEVE.

Really think about it, think about anything that you want, and then ask yourself why don’t you have it. At first, the excuses will come up:
  1. I don’t have the money.
  2. I don’t have the time.
  3. I’m too fat, too ugly, too old, too_______ whatever you’re “too” is.
But if you really chunk those excuses down, you’ll discover that the truth is that you don’t BELIEVE. I’ll give you my example in hopes that you can unlock your own blocks.

Me: I want to write for a living.

You: So write then.

Me: Yeah, well you see, I have a good paying job. I don’t think I can make money unless I get a major publishing deal. And, I’m busy, you know with school, work and stuff. And, and, and.

I could go on forever… But the truth is, that when I chunk it down, the reason I haven’t made writing the way in which I make money is because I don’t believe I can write. Yes, casual writing sure. But writing for a living, for other people, to be under deadlines, to be told what to write all the time… Now that, I can’t do. And so, I wallow in my stories, because they keep me safe. Miserable. But safe. The truth is, if I believed I could write, there would be nothing stopping me from applying at that great company, or going after that one great opportunity. Nothing, and I mean nothing would stop me.

If you’re not quite convinced of what I’m saying, or how it could possibly apply to you, how bout if I share a quick story with you.  

As a man was passing the elephants, he suddenly stopped, confused by the fact that these huge creatures were being held by only a small rope tied to their front leg. No chains, no cages. It was obvious that the elephants could, at anytime, break away from their bonds but for some reason, they did not.

He saw a trainer nearby and asked why these animals just stood there and made no attempt to get away. “Well,” trainer said, “when they are very young and much smaller we use the same size rope to tie them and, at that age, it’s enough to hold them. As they grow up, they are conditioned to believe they cannot break away. They believe the rope can still hold them, so they never try to break free.”

The man was amazed. These animals could at any time break free from their bonds but because they believed they couldn’t, they were stuck right where they were.

Belief in what we can and can’t do is the catalyst that moves us toward our desired goal. I’ve said this before, but we must be like Jim Carey, and be a Yes Man when it comes to taking chances. But most of all, we must first believe we can, believe that we are good enough just as we are. This is a reminder to you, and me. We are a work in progress, and perfection is not needed to embark on our deepest desires.  
Till Next Time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment