Wednesday, November 18, 2015

"Year of Yes" Shonda Rhimes- A pledge we should all take!


I recently read the newly released book by Shonda Rhimes “Year of Yes”. Rhimes is the creator and writer of “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Scandal” and “How to Get Away with Murder.” I was so inspired and motivated by her story that I just had to share.
It never occurred to me that someone the likes of Shonda Rhimes, having three of the most popular televisions programs on air at this time, struggled with self-confidence, among many other things. She was shy, introverted and never said yes to anything. She begins by recalling what ultimately led to her “Year of Yes”. She was in the kitchen with her sister reciting all the invitations she had received to speak here and there, when her sister asked, “Well, are you going to go?” to where Rhimes responded by saying “Well of course not.” In her mind, that was obvious, after all, she had things to take care of, her kids, her home, not to mention that she had three TV programs to run. This left her sister uttering six little words that would change the course of Shonda’s life, “You never say YES to anything.”
Her sister’s words haunted her days after, and so she decided to take action; Shonda decided that for the next year she was going to say YES to everything! Following through 100%, Shonda said good-bye to her fear of public speaking, she said hello to making time for her kids, which included not working on the weekends and turning off her phone after 7pm, and she said good-bye to 127 lbs.

She has said that she is not the same person following the “Year of Yes,” a practice she is upholding even now, after “her year” is over.
The take away here is the same as always, look inward. In what ways are you like Shonda. In what ways have you been saying no to things that could ultimately, drastically change your life? If you know exactly what that is, then do as she has done, and start saying yes because the result could be life altering, in the best way possible.

This is my new pledge for the upcoming year, to say yes to everything that scares me. Like Rhimes, I have an incredible fear of public speaking, which I believe is holding me back professionally. I know that once I release that fear, opportunities will start to flood my way, and I can’t wait! So take the challenge, begin now, or prep up for the start of 2016 and decide that this will be the year that your life will change!
Till Next Time!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment