Tuesday, December 1, 2015

What Direction are You Moving In?

Did you know that we are always moving in the direction that causes us less pain? You say what??
I know what you’re thinking, “nope! That’s definitely not true because every day I go to my god-awful dead-end job, which is most definitely causing me pain. If that were true, then I’d be moving in the direction of my dream job instead of my job.”

Well hold on now…   I don’t disagree that you may perceive your situation as painful. But the truth is that no matter how painful your “job” may be, something in your perception of your dream job is actually MORE painful than your current job/situation.  "An example please?” you say. “Well of course.”

Let us take the above example. You hate your job and you want to quit and start your own business. So why aren’t you just moving in the direction of starting your business, or why don’t you have it already? One reason could be because even though you HATE your job (pain) the thought of the instability that comes with starting your business is more painful. Therefore, as long as you have that belief you will NEVER achieve your goal of starting your own business.

“So what do I do?” you say desperately.
“Glad you asked?”

Here are three steps to help get clear:
1.      Identify: Analyze your wants and desires, is there an area in your life that you constantly struggle with and can’t seem to get it right, maybe it’s your career or your exercise regimen or your love life. Whatever it is, you first have to get clear.
2.      Get real: Now that you have decided what you want to improve, now it’s time to understand why you don’t have it. What is the “story” you have been telling yourself about why you can’t or don’t have “it.” For example, if you find yourself writing down, I’m out of shape because I have no time to exercise; now you know why you are out of shape, because in your eyes, you literally have no time.
3.      Change your story: Here’s where the magic happens, in sticking with the above example, tell yourself this, I have all the time I need to fit-in my exercise routine so that I can accomplish my desired goal.

If you’re getting some mental resistance on step 3, think about it this way. Really?? You have noooooo time? There is no way you have noooooo time. In reality, you are choosing to have no time. You can wake up 30 minutes earlier, or don’t watch your favorite TV show, or don’t take your full one hour lunch, instead split it, walk for 30 eat for 30. You see, where there’s a will, there a way.

My point is this, when doing the above steps you should not lie to yourself, during these steps you should acknowledge the lies/stories that have been preventing you from having the life you want. By doing so, you will move past the excuses and right into results.
Till Next Time!


No comments:

Post a Comment